There has been a lot of buzz around virtual assistants (VAs), and technology is helping us to live a more productive and easier life. But few people stop to think about how a virtual assistant works. And even fewer people know how to become one.
If you’re looking at this article and thinking, “I can’t code or be a VA, there is no way I can become a VA”, think again. There is a very long list of different technical skills that are necessary to become and successful VA. Some of these skills are Google search, computer programming and many more. The most important skills for becoming a successful virtual assistant are social skills and networking.
What do you think it takes to become a virtual assistant? It is not an easy job. It requires a lot of skills and qualifications, and it could be very time-consuming. But it can also be very lucrative. And if you would like to start your own virtual assistant business, this article will help you to get started.
Do you want to work from home and make money on the internet? Businesses have outsourced many essential jobs to virtual assistants as technology has advanced and placed the world at your fingertips.
You don’t have to get dressed for work or go to the workplace any more. Virtual assistants, like you and me, start well-paying jobs every day. All you need is a laptop and access to the internet.
We’ll teach you how to become a virtual assistant now and answer queries like;
- What is the role of a virtual assistant?
- What kind of salary can you expect?
- What are the best places to look for virtual assistant jobs?
What is the definition of a virtual assistant?
Virtual assistants (VAs) are self-employed individuals who provide administrative and marketing assistance. What makes the work appealing is that it is a remote position that can be done from the comfort of your own home.
Here are some of the most frequent duties of a VA:
- Making inbound and outgoing calls, scheduling appointments, monitoring a client’s email, and arranging hotels or flights
- Because of their particular talents, some VAs may provide additional specialized services, such as copywriting, WordPress development, graphic design, accounting, bookkeeping, and other marketing services.
- Virtual assistants provide flexibility in employment for employers since they are contract-based.
As a virtual assistant, you may engage in the following actions. Finally, decide what services you want to provide, so think about your talents and hobbies.
People hire virtual assistants for a variety of reasons.
Many expanding companies rely heavily on virtual assistants. When an employer has a requirement that is essential but not fundamental to their company strategy, they often engage virtual assistants.
A small company that begins to see fast development but is unable to recruit a full-time employee is an example. They may employ a virtual assistant to help them with some of the duties that are taking up too much of their time, such as answering phone calls or responding to emails.
Another example is when a company owner wants to try out a new marketing approach but does not have all of the necessary abilities. They may employ a virtual assistant who can help them with graphic design or social media management.
How To Become a Virtual Assistant
These are the most important actions to follow in order to begin working as a virtual assistant. Depending on your talents and expertise, your trip may be different.
Step 1: Decide what services you’d want to provide.
It’s now time to evaluate your abilities, strengths, and shortcomings. What superpower do you have? Are you a people person or a very organized person?
We recommend that you concentrate on a couple of your strongest abilities so that you don’t feel uninspired or overwhelmed. Allow me to explain.
You may feel unorganized if you provide too many services over a wide range. It’s best to focus on one area, such as social media, and invest heavily on it.
You also don’t want to put any restrictions on yourself. You didn’t include it in your CV or pitch, but one of your Instagram marketing clients may require assistance with emails.
That is why you should focus on one specialty and grow it. Using the social media marketing example as an example, you might provide:
- Management of social media accounts
- Using social media to share content
- Customer service on social media
Yes, they are separate services, but they are all related to the same issue. This enables you to take on additional income-generating activities while remaining unfazed.
Step 2: Determine your rate and pricing structure
Unless you apply for a paid virtual assistant position, you’ll almost certainly have to come up with your own price structure and charge clients using a service like PayPal. It’s not as difficult as it seems.
To begin, there are a few different methods to charge VA tasks:
- Rates based on the hour
- Amounts per project
- retainers on a monthly basis
The easiest method to begin is to calculate an hourly rate by logging your hours and multiplying them by your hourly charge. Similarly, you may charge potential customers a single lump amount for tasks based on how many hours you estimate it will take. In this scenario, it’s customary to charge half up front and the rest after the job is finished.
Offering retainer services
Virtual assistants may charge clients a monthly fee if they are providing continuous services. This is when you decide on a certain quantity of work to be completed each month for a set fee. Every month, the client is invoiced at the start of the month, and the work is subsequently provided until the following billing cycle.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to determining how much to charge, but the two most important variables are how much you need to earn a livelihood and your skill level.
Let’s suppose you need to make $20 each hour to pay your expenses. That’s your starting point. If’s, and’s, and’s, and’s, and’s, and’s, and’s, and’s, and’s, and’s If you are very skilled at a specific task, you may, for example, charge $25 per hour.
Step 3: Establish a online presence and generate interest
Your ability to stand out amid the sea of virtual assistants on the internet will determine how successful you are. The first step is to establish an internet presence. This starts with social media accounts such as Twitter, Facebook, and, in particular, Linkedin.
This allows you to establish a professional image and market yourself. Here’s what a decent virtual assistant social media account should look like.
Example of professional virtual assistant social media account>
Take note of how this freelancer utilizes a high-quality picture, a basic cover photo, and a paragraph that summarizes her abilities. It’s simple and to-the-point, and it should be consistent across all of your social media platforms.
Create a WordPress website for your company.
A website may also help you stand out from the throng. You don’t have to be the programming equivalent of Bill Gates to put up a fast webpage. Pre-built templates are available on platforms like WordPress, allowing you to create a high-quality website in minutes.
Having your own website will also draw visitors from search engines, resulting in employment possibilities falling into your lap. It also distinguishes you from other virtual assistant companies that lack a solid web presence.
While a website isn’t required to get started, you should at the very least set up social media profiles before going on to the next stage.
Where Can I Find Virtual Assistant Jobs?
You may start applying for jobs after you have your service offering, an internet presence, and a professional-looking résumé. To get you started, here are a few of the most prominent employment sites.
Upwork was formerly known as eLance/oDesk.
Upwork is where most freelancers start their careers, and it’s where you can earn a good income. It’s a freelancing platform that makes it simple to discover prospective customers or employees by bringing them all together in one place.
How to Create an UpWork Account
You can create a free account by clicking here. The platform’s limitations on who they let in have been tightened recently, so make sure you:
- Include specific details about your experience.
- Complete exams to demonstrate your abilities.
- Use a high-resolution display image.
- Make sure your profile isn’t too wide or generic-looking.
Once you’ve been approved, you may start submitting proposals for tasks you’d want to do. To discover related jobs, type “virtual assistant” or a similar term into the search box.
The estimated salary, responsibilities, necessary hours, and other information will be included on job postings. You may also be required to respond to questions added to the advertisement by the business in order to select the top applicants.
For Upwork, here’s a pro tip:
Customize your proposal if there’s one certain method to stand out above other candidates. Don’t send a message that’s been copied and pasted since it’s apparent and indicates a lack of effort. Take the time to write a customized message, and you’ll see an increase in the number of employment offers you get.
SimplyHired is an easy-to-use employment board that may help you discover profitable virtual assistant jobs. To get started, type “virtual assistant” into the search box and click “Search Jobs.”
A full description of the position will display on the right after clicking a listing from the left sidebar. SimplyHired’s website is always being updated with new possibilities, so make it a habit to check them out on a regular basis.
Click the orange “Apply Now” button when you discover a VA job that looks potential. This will take you to their application form, which may be found on Indeed or on their company’s website. Please submit your application to the following websites.
This business may be worth looking into if you still want to have some face-to-face contact with your clients. TaskRabbit is an online marketplace that connects local demand with freelancers, ensuring that your clients are close by. One thing to keep in mind is that although TaskRabbit focuses on labor skills, they do have openings for people with design and administrative expertise.
Craigslist, a classified ad website located in the United States, is another alternative with a more local client base. If you’ve ever used Craigslist, you know how diverse the listings are. One thing to keep in mind is that Craiglist does not screen any of the people that post on their site, so be cautious about who you speak to or meet with.
Zirtual is an Ohio-based virtual assistant employment firm. They are exclusively focused on matching the appropriate virtual assistants with the right customers. Because they do all of their work remotely, they may be a good location to consider if you want to work entirely from home.
Remote.co is a platform that brings together the finest remote jobs, businesses, and employees in one location. From the top menu, choose the “Remote jobs” option and type a phrase into the search box, such as “virtual assistant.”
Any locations that seem intriguing should be clicked. The job listing page will include duties, salary, and other business information. Of course, all of this is negotiable.
What Does a Virtual Assistant Earn?
Virtual assistant compensation varies depending on a variety of variables, including specific talents, experience, full-time or part-time status, and company. Salary ranges from $25,000 to almost $65,000 per year, according to a 2019 study from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Salaries for Virtual Assistants
- $39,000 per year ($19/hour) is the median annual salary.
- Annual Salary for the Top 10%: $64,000 per year ($30/hour)
- Annual Salary for the Bottom 10%: $25,000 per year ($12/hour)
PayScale, for example, indicated a somewhat greater range of $26,000 – $72,000.
The amount you make is determined by how much you work and for whom you work, so concentrate on finding excellent clients with consistent employment.
What Does a Job Like This Pay?
While we’re on the subject of virtual assistant compensation, it’s a good idea to compare it to other comparable professions. Here’s what the US Bureau of Labor Statistics had to say about a few comparable professions in their 2018 report.
- Receptionist: $29,000 ($14/hour) per year
- $36,000 per year ($17.50 per hour) as a bill and account collector
- $43,000 a year ($21/hour) for a desktop publisher
What is the Purpose of a Virtual Assistant?
Based on their skill set and the particular client requirements, virtual assistants provide a broad range of services to their customers. In general, you may anticipate to be doing things like:
- Order processing, data capture, and collecting are examples of data input.
- Email outreach, such as prospect follow-up, billings, payables, and so on
- Running a pinterest or twitter account, for example, is an example of social media management.
- Managing a website, such as a WordPress blog or a Shopify shop
- Offering help-desk assistance for SaaS solutions, for example, is one example of customer service.
- Managing client calendars, for example, is an example of calendar scheduling.
- Booking tickets and searching down flight information are examples of travel.
- Editing a blog, such as posting and formatting blog entries
- Commenting on industry blogs to get attention is one example of brand engagement.
- Recruiting, for example, assisting in the identification and onboarding of new colleagues
- Listening to and transcribing podcasts, for example.
- Material translation from one language to another is an example of translation.
What Qualifications Do You Require to Work as a Virtual Assistant?
Administrative capabilities, technological skills, creative skills, and digital marketing skills are some of the skill sets that companies seek for when employing virtual assistants. While you don’t have to be an expert in all of these areas, most VA positions will need you to be competent in at least some of them.
Skills in administration
The majority of virtual assistant positions require at least some administrative abilities.
- Answering consumer inquiries about products or services is an example of customer service.
- Email inbox management, for example, assisting in the prioritization of emails and the organization of folders
- Manage the delivery of particular efforts, for example, using task and project management.
- Scheduling appointments and managing cancellations are examples of calendar management.
- Processing sales orders, for example, requires data input.
- Customer and competitor research, for example, may be done online.
Virtual assistants that can handle technological duties for a company are in great demand. Due to the increased demand, these positions may also pay more.
- Setting up a new shop on Shopify, for example, is an example of website development and setup.
- WordPress development and maintenance, such as for a company blog.
- Setting up a webinar, such as handling webinar tools, signups, and follow-ups
- Setting up Pinterest boards and participating on Twitter are examples of social media optimization.
- Setup and administration of processes, such as establishing a reusable procedure for frequent activities.
- Troubleshooting and technical assistance, such as addressing technical inquiries from customers
A skilled virtual assistant with artistic talents is a valuable tool for anything from writing interesting blog articles to creating eye-catching visuals.
- Designing fresh pictures for articles and posts is a part of graphic design.
- Support for branding – ensuring that brand standards are adhered to across various platforms.
- Copywriting is the process of creating interesting marketing material.
- Writing useful or inspirational articles to entice prospective consumers is an example of creative writing.
Competencies in digital marketing
VAs with digital marketing expertise are in great demand as more business is done online.
- Building sales funnels – A/B testing, funnel optimization
- Identifying and generating leads for a company is known as lead generation.
- Facebook ad management refers to the administration of Facebook targeting campaigns.
- Managing a company’s on-page and off-page SEO is known as search engine optimization (SEO).
- Logo design, book covers, and commercial graphics are all examples of graphic design.
- Writing and administering drip marketing programs using email automation
What Are the Tools Used by Virtual Assistants?
While nearly anybody may become a Virtual Assistant, there are a few essential tools and pieces of equipment you’ll need to get started.
This includes the following:
- A computer that has been upgraded – preferably a laptop with enough in-memory processing.
- MS Office or Google Office – Depending on the client, you may need both.
- Email — This serves as a business card with clients, so make it seem professional.
- Internet access at a high speed – Unfortunately, dial-up will not function since many of the programs need a reasonable upload and download speed on the internet.
- Virtual meetings, such as Zoom or Skype, are extremely popular nowadays.
- Job in a quiet setting – Working from home may have its drawbacks, so make sure your home environment is suitable to your work.
What are Artificial Intelligence Virtual Assistants?
Companies are releasing more and more applications that assist automate daily chores as technology improves dramatically every year. Apple’s Siri or Amazon’s Alexa are two popular examples of this.
To grasp the subtleties in how people interact and react appropriately, the technologies depend on artificial intelligence and large data machine processing. This is useful for activities such as checking the weather or making a meal reservation. ElliQ, a startup creating an app to assist the elderly with things like medicine reminders, is one example.
The good news is that these applications are designed to automate activities that don’t need a lot of judgment or the capacity to think creatively. This is where you enter the picture.
Conclusions on Working as a Virtual Assistant
Working from home is a dream come true for many individuals all around the globe. And working as a virtual assistant is one method to make that goal come true.
Virtual assistants (VAs) assist time-strapped company owners with duties such as email response, customer support, and social media marketing. This job path is ideal for you if you’re a well-rounded person with computer abilities.
The first thing is to start with professional social media profiles and a strong CV. Consider how much you’d want to charge and what services you’d like to specialize on.
Sign up for freelancing platforms like Upwork and remote work websites like Remote.co and SimplyHired to find employment. Make it a habit to check these sites on a frequent basis to increase your chances of getting employment.
Virtual assistants help businesses run more efficiently. If you know how to become a virtual assistant, you can use your skills to work from home. You can also work from your local coffee shop, or anywhere else where you have an Internet connection.. Read more about virtual assistant jobs from home no experience and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I become a virtual assistant in 2021?
Virtual assistants are a new job that is becoming more and more popular. They are people who work remotely, answering questions for people online in chatrooms or over the phone. Its not a very demanding job, but it can be very lucrative if you have the right skillset.
What are the steps to become a virtual assistant?
Becoming a virtual assistant is not as easy as it sounds. You must be highly skilled in many different areas, including but not limited to the following: -Computer Science -Programming -Data Analysis -Search Engine Optimization -Web Development -Social Media Marketing
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- virtual assistant jobs from home no experience
- freelance virtual assistant jobs
- virtual assistant jobs for beginners philippines
- how to become a virtual assistant
- virtual assistant